Procedure for Complaints against an Attorney-at-Law
- WRITE A LETTER with the details of your complaint addressed to
of the General Legal Council
78 Harbour Street
- A COPY OF YOUR LETTER IS SENT TO THE ATTORNEY.
- If the attorney fails to respond within 6 weeks, a reminder letter may be sent.
- Failure by the attorney to respond to the reminder letter after 4 weeks will move the complaint process to Step 4.
- A COPY OF THE ATTORNEY’S RESPONSE IS SENT TO YOU FOR COMMENT.
- Your written comments are expected within 6 weeks.
- FORMAL COMPLAINT DOCUMENTS will be given to you to complete & sign and have witnessed if you are dissatisfied with the attorney’s response.
- Copies are sent to the attorney who must respond to the allegations within six (6) weeks.
- THE MATTER IS PLACED BEFORE A MEETING OF THE DISCIPLINARY COMMITTEE of the General Legal Council for their consideration.
- THE OUTCOME (MATTER DISMISSED OR SET FOR HEARING) of the Disciplinary Committee’s deliberation is transmitted to the complainant and attorney.