RESULT: Struck off | Disciplinary Committee decision delivered March 25, 2017 || Guilty of Professional Misconduct | Disciplinary Committee decision delivered February 04, 2017
DECISION OF THE DISCIPLINARY COMMITTEE
OF THE GENERAL LEGAL COUNCIL
COMPLAINT NO: 1/2015
IN THE MATTER OF PAUL BLACK and GREGORY M. D. LOPEZ an Attorney-at–Law
IN THE MATTER OF THE LEGAL PROFESSION ACT, 1971
Walter Scott Q.C. – Chairman
No one attended
25th March, 2017.
- The Panel notes that the Respondent Attorney was present on the 4th February, 2017 when the matter was fixed for a sanction hearing for today’s date.
- The Panel further notes that the notice of today’s hearing was sent to the Respondent Attorney by registered post on the 21st February, 2017 (see Affidavit of Service of Wayon Henry sworn to on the 23rd March, 2017 and to which is attached as an exhibit certificate of posting No. 4857). The Panel is therefore satisfied that the Attorney has been properly served with the notice of today’s hearing and in any event is aware of today’s hearing as he was present when this date was fixed.
- In the absence of the Attorney no circumstances in mitigation has been put before the Panel. The Panel has considered the matter and orders:
- Pursuant to section 12(4) of the Legal Profession Act the name of the Attorney, Gregory M.D. Lopez, is struck off the Roll of Attorneys-at-Law entitled to practice in the several Courts of the island of Jamaica.
- Costs of these proceedings in the amount of Fifty Thousand Dollars ($50,000.00) are to be paid by the Attorney as to which Thirty Thousand Dollars ($30,000.00) is to be paid to the Complainant and Twenty Thousand Dollars ($20,000.00) to the General Legal Council.
Dated the 25th day of March, 2017
WALTER SCOTT, Q.C.